Now Accepting New Patients
Santa Maria Pediatric Nutrition Dentistry
Feeding your child’s smile: why nutrition matters in pediatric dentistry
Or call (805) 922-9626
Preventive & restorative pediatric dental services
Spanish-speaking pediatric dentist & staff
Beyond brushing — nutrition prevents common dental problems in kids
At Mariposa Pediatric Dentistry, we educate parents and children about healthy eating habits to guarantee happy smiles. Dr. Pedersen can provide expert advice on maintaining a balanced diet and good dental hygiene habits for your child.
Biting into better health
Eating a well-balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and dairy products can help keep your child’s teeth and gums healthy and strong. Here are some tips to get your child on the path to a healthy diet:
- Limit sugary snacks and drinks. Instead, offer your child healthy snacks like carrot sticks, apple slices, or cheese cubes.
- Encourage your child to drink water throughout the day. Drinking water helps wash away food particles and bacteria that can cause tooth decay.
- Include fruits and vegetables in their diet. They contain vitamins and minerals that can help keep teeth and gums healthy.
- Cook proteins like chicken, fish, and eggs for meals — phosphorus helps keep teeth strong.
- Dairy is their best friend. Milk, cheese, and yogurt are great calcium and vitamin D sources — essential for strong teeth and bones.
By making small changes to your child’s diet and promoting healthy eating habits, you can help ensure their teeth and gums stay healthy and strong.
Remember to schedule regular dental check-ups and teach your child good oral hygiene habits like brushing and flossing. With a little effort, you can set your child up for a lifetime of a healthy smile!
Hear from our patients
A really amazing experience! Dr. Pederson was so nice and welcoming. I am definitely excited to bring my kids back here in 6 months! Thank you Mariposa Pediatric Dentistry!
– Jasmine V.
Growing up with great teeth
Pediatric dentistry is more than just checking for cavities and providing dental treatments. It’s also about promoting good oral health habits and overall well-being in children. One important aspect of this is nutrition.
At Mariposa Pediatric Dentistry, we recognize the importance of a healthy diet for maintaining good oral health. Dr. Pedersen can advise on healthy eating habits and dietary recommendations to support your child’s dental health.
In addition, we offer comprehensive dental care services to help ensure that your child’s teeth and gums stay healthy and strong — from regular check-ups and cleanings to treatments for gum disease and other dental issues. We believe that parents play a crucial role in promoting good nutrition for their children, and we’re here to support you in that effort.
Nutrition in Pediatric Dentistry FAQs
Why is nutrition important for my child's oral health?
A healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals can help strengthen teeth and bones while limiting sugary snacks and drinks can reduce the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
How can I encourage my child to eat healthy foods?
There are several ways to encourage your child to eat healthy foods. Here are some tips:
- Make healthy foods fun and appealing by presenting them creatively and colorfully.
- Involve your child in meal planning and preparation.
- Offer praise and positive reinforcement when they make healthy choices.
Denti-Cal & most insurance accepted
We are in network with most PPO dental insurances, and are the only local pediatric dental specialist accepting Denti-Cal. Not sure if your specific plan is accepted? Contact us today for a complimentary benefits check.
No insurance? We’ve got you covered.
We offer an in-house discount plan and payment plans to help you afford care.
Our in-house discount plan includes:
- 2 comprehensive exams and cleanings per year, including any needed x-rays
- Discounts on any needed treatment
All Families Welcome
At Mariposa Pediatric Dentistry, we’re proud to offer a comfortable dentistry experience to all families in our community.
We offer a full range of restorative and preventive services in a comforting and encouraging environment. At your child’s appointment, we’ll provide an update on their oral health and fill you in on any recommended treatments, including pediatric sedation dentistry.
You can trust Dr. Pedersen to provide a comfortable and encouraging oral health experience.
Monday - Thursday: 8am - 4pm
Friday: 8am - 12pm
Saturday - Sunday: Closed